How much does KMSD charge?
All fees listed below increase by $50 when Early Online Registration ends, and Late Online Registration begins
Our low rates are based on joining an 8 week session. That’s it. There are NO “monthly dues” and absolutely NO commitment beyond that. You must read “BEFORE you register with KMSD!“. Our program is not like others. We are not a “franchise business”, and KMSD may not be for you.
$250 for your first 8 week session (but see Discounts, below), and $150 per 8 week session after that, forever (but see Discounts, below).
That works out to $75 per month for KMSD Continuing Students for the 10 months of training per year (but see Discounts, below) for those who have completed at least one 8 week session with KMSD – $150 for each 8 week session.
$125 per month for New Level 1 Students (but see Discounts, below) for your first 8 week session, but only for your 1st 8 week session with KMSD; includes a pair of handwraps / guide.
DISCOUNTS for regular 8-week sessions
$50 off per 8-week session for students in the following groups:
- Military personnel (active duty)
- Purple Heart recipients
- Law Enforcement Officers (full time)
- Firefighters (professional)
- Paramedics (full time, in the field)
$25 off per 8-week session for:
- JCC and / or Balanced Fitness & Health members
- Continuing students who refer a NEW Level 1 student (please verify that the New Student has registered and paid before taking the Discount)
- Military Dependents
- Participants (paid) in the most recent KMSD Women’s Seminar (New Students only, one time Discount)
One discount per person, per session, please. Take the best one you qualify for.
If paying by check / money order, make them out to, “Krav Maga San Diego, Inc.“
There is a $50 KMSD fee if you simply stop payment on your check, or if your check is returned by the bank for Non-Sufficient Funds.
Please note that all fees are non-refundable.
Drop in rate: $0 (No Charge) for visitors to San Diego who train at any other krav maga locations.
Do I have to pay in advance? Or can I first come and “try it out”?
If you are unsure if you want to commit to an 8 week training session, Register for an 8 week session with payment via check (instead of credit card / PayPal), participate in your first class, and then if you don’t want to continue, just ask us to cancel your registration through the Contact page. We’ll reply with a confirmation and then destroy your check and delete your Registration. But most students who train the first day end up staying. If you are thinking about observing another krav maga location, please visit them first to see for yourself why our students regularly drive past other krav maga schools in San Diego and beyond to train with KMSD.
*NOTE – Credit Card / PayPal registrants can NOT receive a refund, only a credit which can be transferred to the next session, or gifted to a New student for the next session. Students may use the Buy Now / PayPal buttons on the Register page, or mail a check / money order to our Administrative Office address, made out to: Krav Maga San Diego, Inc. Please make sure your check has the name of the student listed on it, and is signed and filled out completely.
The Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center (LFJCC) or Balanced Fitness & Health should not be asked to accept anything at all for Krav Maga San Diego. Students who attempt to register by bringing a check or money order directly to the JCC / Balanced Fitness & Health, or mailing it to the JCC / Balanced Fitness & Health, instead of mailing it to Krav Maga San Diego, will not be registered for the training and their place will be given to a waiting student, even if they have completed Registration online.
Classes fill up quickly and registration closes in advance. Priority is given to students who are referred by current students.
If you are not using a credit card / PayPal, then mail your check / money order to:
Krav Maga San Diego, Inc.
P.O. Box 13453
La Jolla, CA 92039-3453
Feel free to email us asking for confirmation that we received your check / money order. Then, come dressed to train the first day of the session.
You must have completed Registration online before beginning your first class!
Can I come visit classes?
Definitely. Just use our Contact page with a few days advance notice to let us know where and what day you’d like to come visit. Interested students should visit more than one of our classes, as we meet regularly in at least 4 different training venues each week. See the Calendar page to determine when you’d like to visit (note which month the Calendar page defaults to). We must have your first and last name, and a valid email address before your visit.
NOTE: visiting to observe class (vs. visiting to “participate” in class) allows you to see how all of KMSD’s experienced, highly-trained Instructors interact with the entire student group. A “free class” in which you “participate” is a trick; fun, but it tunnel-focuses your attention, and is therefore almost worthless, because it can’t allow you to watch the whole class and evaluate how the Instructors run the training program. And, you can’t just ‘drop in’ to a class during a progressive 8 week session while students are already moving through a training pipeline. KMSD does not have ‘ad hoc’ lesson plans where any day can be your first day. Each Class, as a group, starts and ends that 8 week session together.There is no charge for visiting Krav Maga students to participate in KMSD classes.
Krav Maga students from out of town, who are visiting San Diego: you are welcome to join KMSD classes as a Visiting Student regardless of which Krav Maga organization you train with. Just use our Contact page with a few days advance notice to let us know how long you’ve been training in Krav Maga; your “rank”; where you train; and who your instructor is. Then request a Visiting Student Registration.
NOTE: the Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center is a secure facility with armed security. Everyone entering the property is subject to video surveillance and search procedures.
What are KMSD classes like?
Students participate in an 8 week training package. Although the training pipeline is progressive, each student works at their own pace. There is no need to notify us in advance as to which day(s) you are coming to class, or which location(s) you are attending. Just sign in upon arrival for every class which you’ll be training in. Every class is different. Some students train once a week. Others 5 days a week.
- All KMSD students may attend unlimited Downtown, Balboa Park, and Level 1 JCC classes (totaling 5 per week / ~20 per month).
- KMSD Level 2 students may attend unlimited Downtown, Balboa Park, and Level 1 and Level 2 JCC classes.
- KMSD Level 3 students may attend unlimited classes.
- Some students attend 5 time per week, others once a week; most attend 2 – 3 times a week.
- All KMSD students / visitors may observe all classes (except SpecOpsDiv training).
- Students arrive early enough to class to take into account parking time, and should have their hands wrapped up before class lineup (KMSD will supply handwraps to brand new students after the 1st week; or you may use your own).
- Upon arrival at every single class, students print their name on the Sign-in List under the column for their level class(es), at the entrance to whichever room / area where class is held that day, and then replace the clipboard where it belongs.
- There will always be a short warmup at the start of class, which is designed to prevent injury, increase flexibility, and build endurance and strength.
- Level 1 students are invited to stay for the warmup of all Level 2 classes at the JCC, and more experienced students commonly join lower level classes to review and help the newer students. If you’re just staying for the warmup you don’t need to sign in for that class. If you end up staying for the class, sign in afterwards.
- The Level 2 Technical class at the JCC on Wednesday evenings at 7:30 PM (subject to change) focuses more on the “technical” aspects of the system, allowing students to learn new material without full contact training or intense conditioning.
- The Level 2 Physical class at the JCC on Wednesday evenings at 8:30 PM (subject to change) works within the same level of techniques, but allows students to experience “contact training” and fighting with full protective gear, for a higher level of physical and mental conditioning and fitness.
- Students attaining the rank of Practitioner 4 and above are usually invited to attend Level 3 classes at the JCC.
- The theme in all of our KMSD training is “help each other out”.
Please be aware that KMSD classes are designed for serious training, and and our programs are not like “typical” college recreation, health / boxing club, strip mall, storefront, or industrial park programs!
I’m extremely concerned about Safety in Training.
So are we. Safety during your training is actually our #1 priority, and KMSD is probably the safest Krav Maga training program anywhere.
- New students who don’t already have their own will sign for and be issued a pair of handwraps (to keep). It’s basic safety gear to protect your hands and wrists during repeated punches / fall breaks during training. NOTE: if you visit a school which charges their own students for handwraps, or allows students to punch anything hard without wearing them, they are not serious about looking after your personal safety.
- All protective gear MUST be inspected by an Instructor prior to use during any class.
- KMSD’s Lead Instructor is an Official with USA Boxing, and KMSD operates under similar safety guidelines, including utilizing a Restrictions Affidavit when needed.
- All Instructors and Assistant Instructors are required to maintain current CPR Certification, as well undergo further emergency medical training.
- KMSD always has Military / Law Enforcement personnel in class.
- No “loss of temper” is allowed. Students unable to control themselves will be removed from the program. There are no refunds.
- Students are not allowed to carry a live weapon (e.g. edged weapon, or concealed handgun) while training (exceptions may occur during SpecOpsDiv training).
- Our Headquarters JCC location is a secure facility: multiple full-time armed security personnel, video surveillance, etc. are always present.
- KMSD provides Workplace Active Shooter Training and has provided training to some of the most high-risk facilities in San Diego.
What if I’m not currently in my best physical condition?
Don’t worry about it. Krav Maga is designed to teach everybody how to defend themselves. Students work at their own pace, although we always encourage a strong workout, and everybody is challenged physically. Nobody should avoid learning how to defend themselves because they’re not an athlete. All students will get in better shape during the course; you will increase your flexibility, endurance, speed, strength, environmental awareness, and self-confidence. Many students lose a lot of weight! You must ask your doctor if it’s OK to participate in this type of training if you have any physical limitation / injury.
Note that some measure of physical fitness is required to participate in our classes.
Who are these classes for?
Krav Maga San Diego typically attracts a wide variety of students who share some things in common
- a desire to increase their self-confidence and ability to realistically defend themselves and their loved ones
- an interest in maintaining physical fitness in a non-threatening environment
- having some fun while training with like-minded people (but note that our classes are not designed as “fun Krav Maga”)
Participants typically include
- Military personnel (who make up a significant % of Krav Maga San Diego members)
- Law Enforcement personnel (who make up a significant % of Krav Maga San Diego members)
- College students
- Busy professionals
- Many others, e.g. entertainment figures, artists, homemakers, etc.
KMSD classes have everyone from *teens through middle-aged (*see below). Please visit classes before you register. You can arrange this through the Contact page. We will have students with no experience at all, as well as accomplished martial artists from other systems, and Military / Law Enforcement Defensive Tactics Instructors (see “Discounts”, under “How much does KMSD charge?” above)
*Teens: Our minimum age for classes in the regular 8 week sessions is 16 years old. Minor teens should make arrangements to visit several classes with a parent / guardian to be interviewed by an Instructor. Teens who are being forced into class by a parent will not be accepted into the KMSD training program.
Should I join with a partner?
You can, and many do, but you don’t need to, as you’ll meet many people in class sharing your interest in learning Krav Maga San Diego techniques, tactics, and strategy in an intense 8 week session of serious training, and partners will be provided for you. Students are asked to please introduce themselves and talk to each other while waiting for class to start. Often, couples, parents/teenagers, teammates, coworkers, and friends join together to train with each other, but at different times during the class students will change partners. Our Krav Maga San Diego, Inc. Facebook Private Group page is open to all KMSD students, where they can arrange to meet outside of class for extra training, or other events.
Are there colored belts like in martial arts? How does the rank system work?
Krav Maga San Diego uses the international system of ranking signified by a patch on the pants. The ranks are Practitioner 1 – 5, Graduate 1 – 5, and Expert. The ranks (Practitioner / Graduate / Expert) are somewhat aligned with traditional martial arts belt progression, but the KMSD rank system generally allows for students to learn “higher” techniques sooner, and test more often than a belt system, if they choose to do so. KMSD is especially recognized around the world and locally as having a higher standard of training / ranking. All new students start out in the Level 1 Class without any rank, and are usually invited to participate in a Practitioner 1 Exam after completing 2, 3, or more of the 8 week Level 1 sessions. Following this, most students are invited to attend the Level 2 classes, although many choose to continuing their training in Level 1, even for several sessions, to reinforce the basic, important Krav Maga principles and techniques. Most but not all Practitioner 4 students are invited to participate in the Level 3 classes. There are separate fees for workshops and testing. At Krav Maga San Diego, unlike other local schools, teaching and “doing” are distinctly separated. High ranking Krav Maga students may not have the tools to teach Krav Maga, while lower ranking Krav Maga students may possess the talent to be recommended to the Assistant Instructor Certification Course (AICC). Those qualities include safety in training; respect toward the Instructors and fellow students; maturity; self-control; volunteerism; and other qualities recognized by the Instructor Staff.
Krav Maga San Diego is San Diego’s premier, established, world-recognized international rank testing location. Students ranked by other lower-level krav maga organizations have requested and received permission to test with KMSD, as our exams are considered to be more valid and much more thorough than the typical franchise krav maga programs.
Can I join an 8-week session already in progress?
Probably not. We sometimes allow experienced Krav Maga students to join an ongoing session, pending Instructor approval (after Early Registration closes, all students pay Late Registration rates). New Students generally will not be admitted after Late Registration closes, but will be placed on the Contact list for the next session. You must have completed your Registration online and finished the payment process before beginning any training session; no exceptions.
What do I need to wear to class?
There are NO uniforms at Krav Maga San Diego! It’s not a karate dojo. Just wear long pants (i.e. BDUs, sweats, karate pants, etc.), and a short or long sleeved t-shirt (no tank tops please, unless it’s a Street Clothes class). Our “uniform” pant is the 5.11 Stryke Pant, available to KMSD students at a 25% Discount through a local supplier; use the Contact page to send us a request for purchasing information. New students are asked to buy a white Krav Maga San Diego t shirt as soon as possible, by filling out an Order Form, or using the SHOP page on our website. Colored shirts can be worn outside of class until you are a Level 2 student; otherwise, Level 1 students wear white KMSD shirts in class. Boxing handwraps are mandatory safety gear and are issued to new students (who don’t have their own) after the first week and should be worn to all classes unless otherwise indicated. Most students purchase an extra set, also available (including extra long versions) via the in-class Order Form so you have a pair to use while another pair is drying, or in need of a wash – please be considerate of your fellow students.
Leave your watch, jewelry, etc. at home, or in a gym bag at the side of the room.
Krav Maga San Diego, Inc., the Lawrence Family JCC, and Balanced Fitness & Health are not responsible for lost or stolen property.
When making a purchase, carefully read the instructions at the top of the in-class KMSD Order Form and fill it out completely. The forms are located on a clipboard each day next to the Sign-In clipboard. When your form is complete, place it, along with payment (cash, check, or money order), in the blue document holder near the front of class. Cash should be placed in the folded form and placed in an envelope (send us an email afterwards alerting us to cash payment). Checks / money orders are made out to: “Krav Maga San Diego, Inc.”.
Beach Classes – almost anything goes. Barefoot, aquasocks, sneakers, sandals, etc. T shirt or no top (males); shorts / swim trunks. No hats, sunglasses, watches / jewelry. You can bring a towel and change of clothes (and drinking water). There are outdoor showers, changing areas / restrooms, and a water fountain nearby.
How should I prepare for each class?
Firefighters call it Pre-Hydration: drinking water / electrolyte solution during the heat of the day before being dispatched to a wildfire. KMSD students need to drink water before each class, but not right before class. See THIS guide for more general hydration recommendations (read the entire article).
For Outdoor Training, always use the restroom before arriving to class, and bring water! There should be a short water break in each class.
This is especially true on Saturday and Sunday mornings (1 hour 15 minute classes), when students should also eat lightly well before class (definitely finish eating at least an hour-and-a-half prior to class start time).
For Safety in Training, and consideration / respect toward your Instructors and fellow KMSD students, please adhere to the following before arriving for classes:
- Shower, and wash your hair.
- Use deodorant or antiperspirant.
- Clean under and trim/file your fingernails.
- Bring a clean shirt for each class you are attending, and maybe even two shirts for each class.
- Keep two (2) paper and two (2) plastic grocery bags in your gym bag / kit. These may be used for vision-obstructed training.
- Use clean wraps; just wash them in a sink after class and hang them up, they will be dry overnight (purchase a spare pair to keep in your gym bag, they are inexpensive; see the Order Form in class).
- You don’t need to wear cologne/perfume, as we are in close proximity with others who may have allergies, but try not to smell bad.
- Remember that KMSD students have access to the locker rooms, showers, and related facilities before and after classes.
- Although an attacker may very well be dirty and smelly, let’s make this aspect of “realistic training” something which we leave outside of class.
- Please don’t chew gum in class, ever, at any KMSD training location.
What about Street Clothes Training?
- Street Clothes Training for Krav Maga was pioneered over 25 years ago by KMSD to offer students a more realistic Krav Maga training environment.
Now imitated by lesser schools, it remains a regularly scheduled part of KMSD training during every 8 week session.
- Plan to wear clothes similar to what you wear on the job (e.g. uniform, business attire); when you are out at night; at school; etc.
- For safety, wear closed toed shoes for warmup (i.e. regular athletic shoes). After warmup, you may change your shoes.
- Keys, watches, jewelry, etc. should still be kept in your gym bag on the side of the room.
- Ladies may wear dresses / skirts with shorts underneath, and change into heels after warmup ends.
- Remember that you may hit the ground, and could be training under harder conditions than some clothes are designed for, so don’t wear anything too nice. This is especially true when Street Clothes Training is combined with Outdoor Training.
- Absolutely no functional weapons (e.g. pocket knives) are allowed to be carried by students during training.
- See Photos of past Street Clothes Training.
- All other items listed in “How should I prepare for each class?” (above) remain in effect.
What about Outdoor Training?
- Outdoor Training for Krav Maga was pioneered over 25 years ago by KMSD to offer students a more realistic Krav Maga training environment.
Now imitated by lesser schools, it remains a regularly scheduled part of KMSD training during every 8 week session.
- Always use the restroom before arriving to class, and bring water!
- Plan to wear clothes which will get dirty / muddy when you hit the ground – at least one of your white KMSD shirts is for training like this. This is especially true when Street Clothes Training is combined with Outdoor Training.
- You’ll be training under harder conditions than some clothes are designed for, so so don’t wear anything too nice. This is especially true when Street Clothes Training is combined with Outdoor Training.
- Keys, watches, jewelry, etc. should still be kept in your gym bag, which is placed on the west or south picnic tables / benches (the east picnic table / bench closest to the JCC buildings are reserved for KMSD materials, e.g. Sign In clipboard, Order Form clipboard, Instructor materials, etc.).
- See Photos of past Outdoor Training.
- All other items listed in “How should I prepare for each class?” (above) remain in effect.
Does KMSD offer private training?
Some students will learn self-defense skills at a faster, individual pace with KMSD Private Training and would not progress as efficiently in a group / class setting. And some KMSD students in the regular 8 week sessions combine their class training with KMSD Private Training (Discounts apply for these students). In either case, one – on – one training with an experienced KMSD Instructor may be for you. Travelers who are journeying to a potentially dangerous area; college students preparing to leave home for school; Executive Businesspersons concerned about personal safety and potential kidnapping are all examples of those who have benefited greatly from KMSD Private Training.
KMSD Private Training can be held at our KMSD JCC location; in the La Jolla area; Balboa Park; or at your location of choice, if suitable.
Krav Maga San Diego, Inc. reserves final decision regarding any Private Training agreements. Instructors are assigned by KMSD.
Please note that all fees for KMSD Private Training are non-refundable and private training hours must be used within a set period of time. As well, KMSD needs at least a week’s notice.
Does KMSD offer Gift Certificates?
Yes. See our Shop page to to purchase a KMSD Gift Certificate, for yourself to use at a later date, or for a friend / loved one / fellow student.
We will email you the KMSD Gift Certificate (as a .pdf file attachment) so you can either:
- print it on paper of your choice and give to someone as a gift, or
- email the Certificate to your recipient (as a .pdf file attachment)
Recipients of any KMSD Gift Certificate must:
- complete Early Registration before attending their first class in the session in which it’s to be redeemed
- mail the Certificate to our P.O. Box, or scan it and email it as an attachment, before the session begins
You may even buy one for a Continuing Student. We will forward the Certificate to them (anonymously, if requested); if they don’t want to accept it, we’ll ask them to pass it forward to another student.
Please note that all fees for KMSD Gift Certificates are non-refundable.
Do you negotiate trades for the registration fee?
Yes. Please contact Dana Ben Kaplan, Lead Instructor, at “[email protected]” with details of what you are interested in proposing for trade. Visit our Contact page to request a trade. Krav Maga San Diego Inc. reserves final decision regarding any trade agreements. If in doubt, just let us know what you do, and we may contact you.
Currently open trade categories: WordPress Website Design / update; Social Media; Military Liaison
Does KMSD ever do “fitness challenges” or “groupon”, or “living social”, or a “free introductory”, or “free trial class”, or “complimentary 1st class”, or “12 month contracts”, or “vip packages”, or “specials”, or “family packages”, or “punch-cards”?
Does KMSD appear on local morning TV?